It can be hard to leave man's best friend back at home on your family vacation. Racine County makes it easy. Our lakefront community located conveniently between Milwaukee and Chicago, we're the perfect dog destination this summer.
Make yourself right at home! Many of our hotels in the area are accommodating to both you and your furry family members:
Baymont by Wyndham Waterford, 750 Fox Ln., Waterford
Comfort Inn & Suites, 1150 Oakes Rd., Mount Pleasant
Delta Hotels by Marriott, 7111 Washington Ave., Racine
My Place Hotels, 13320 Globe Dr., Racine
Super 8 by Wyndham, 910 S Sylvania Ave., Sturtevant
Racine County is home to dog parks that pups both big and small can find a place to roam. Off-leash areas and wide-open spaces are just a couple of the features that you'll find in free ranges for Fido:
Island Park Dog Park
1700 Liberty St., Racine
Two separate enclosures for small and large dogs, limit of three dogs per person
Johnson Dog Park
4649 WI-38 Trunk, Caledonia
Off-leash area, benches, river and pond, 28 acres of open area, variety of paths, waste disposal bags available
N. Owen Davies Dog Park
1600 block of West Blvd., Racine
Two separate enclosures for small and large dogs, picnic tables, benches, drinking fountains near the entrance for both people and dogs, waste disposal bags available, off-leash in designated areas
Karen Nelson Memorial Dog Park
3533 Northwestern Ave. (Quarry Lake Park), Racine
Four grassy acres with trees, separate areas for small and large dogs, picnic tables, nearby parking
Jean M. Jacobson Dog Park
Case Eagle Park, 310 South Rochester St., Burlington
Two areas for small and large dogs
From feeding to pampering, we all love caring for our beloved pets. Although most Racine County grocery stores carry all sorts of pet food and toys, there are a few stores dedicated to providing all the things you need to nourish, nurture and spoil your furry friends:
Avenue Pet Shop, 3222 Washington Ave., Racine
Happy Tails Pet Supplies, 5200 Douglas Ave., Suite B, Caledonia
Havahart Pets, 6500 Washington Ave., Racine
Klema Feeds Store, 10540 Northwestern Ave., Franksville
Midwest Pet Feed, 200 N. Milwaukee St., Waterford
Pet Supplies Plus, 5557 Durand Ave., Mount Pleasant
Petco, 3059 S. Oakes Rd., Sturtevant
For a pleasant getaway with your pet and to make sure you’re welcomed back, here are some common "petiquette" tips to keep in mind:
- Make sure your pet is up-to-date with vaccinations and has a current ID tag.
- Take time to locate the nearest veterinarian to where you'll be staying.
- Book a room on a ground floor near an exit for easy bathroom breaks and always clean up after your pet.
- Ask the front desk staff for recommendations on the best places to walk your dog.
- Don’t leave your pet unattended in your hotel room. If you must, alert hotel staff.
- Keep your pet on a leash.
- Prepare a pet travel kit. Depending on the mode of transportation, pack the essential items for your pet, including dry food, treats, a collapsible bowl, medications and first aid items, travel documents like a rabies certificate, and a favorite soft toy or blanket.